Security Guard Part-Time
Department: National Properties
Location: Memphis, TN
Date Posted: May 11, 2021 Posting Expires: Until filled
Church of God in Christ, Inc. (COGIC) is a Christian organization in the Pentecostal-Holiness tradition. The membership is predominantly African-American with more than six million members. COGIC has congregations in 63 countries around the world.
The security agent’s role is to support the safety and security of COGIC property and personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Conduct/patrol and make physical checks of all areas of assigned properties.
- Monitor closed circuit television, check the perimeter, alarm system and fire and safety system.
- Lock property entrances when required.
- Monitor the security at Headquarters and respond to security calls when necessary.
- Assist Human Resources with responding to accidents, incidents and contacting EMS.
- Assist employees and guest during emergency situations.
- Notify appropriate agencies and supervisors in the event of accidents or other attacks.
- Defuse and handle all interruptions and security related complaints.
- Resolve safety hazard situations or incidents.
- Escort any unwelcome person(s) from the property without interrupting the orderly flow.
- Call for assistance (MPD, MFD, EMS) when needed.
- Complete an Incident Summary and Daily Activity Report as needed.
- Conduct interviews and gather information that is relevant to security situations or circumstance.
- Follow all Security Policies and Procedures: report accidents, injuries and unsafe work conditions
to manager or supervisor, complete training and obtain certifications.
- Maintain licensing and registration requirements.
- Ensure that uniforms and personal appearances are clean and professional at all times.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary information and protect the company’s assets.
- Develop and maintain a positive working relationship with others and support common goals of
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
This position does not have responsibilities for managing others.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This job will require some weather exposure
while conducting campus-wide security and safety checks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; climb stairs; The employee must occasionally lift or
move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities are required for the job.
EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
Hours will be assigned by the supervisor. This position may require shifts greater than 8 hours, as well as
additional hours and weekend work.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent or (at least, with proof and
documentation three years of private security experience or minimum of one year of law
- Must be at least 21 years of age. Applicant must be able to obtain a TN Private Protective
Security Registration Card (Certificate) issued by the state of Tennessee Dept. of Commerce
- Must completed 4 hours of general training administered by a certified trainer who is
commissioned and authorized by the state of Tennessee under TCA 62-35-126. Must have
knowledge of legal issues and procedures of security measures pertaining to security
company and/or property security.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must pass an examination in each course of training as listed below:
- – Orientation one (1) hour;
- – Legal powers and limitation of a security guard/officer: one (1) hour;
- – Emergency procedures: (crowd control and conflict resolution) one (1) hour;
- – General security duties: (securing property, surveillance techniques and reporting
process) one (1) hour.
WORK VALUES – COGIC IMPACTS
- Integrity- The quality of being honest and having strong moral uprightness.
- Measurable Results – Establishing SMART goals to highlights success.
- Passion – Self-driven attitude about your work that leads to success.
- Adaptability –The ability to adjust to new conditions.
- Collaborative – Working together to create something or produce solutions.
- Timely – Doing things at a favorable or useful time; expedient.
- Service Oriented – Providing outstanding service and support to COGIC & external vendors/agencies.
COGIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job offers at COGIC are conditioned upon a successful background checks.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities,
duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and
activities may change at any time with or without notice.