|Job Title:||Proofreader||FLSA Status:||Non-Exempt|
|Department:||Publishing House||Reports To:||Manuscript Supervisor|
|Location:||Memphis, TN||Travel Required:||No|
|Level/Salary Range:||Commensurate w/ experience||Position Type:||Regular Full-time|
|Office Hours:||8AM – 5PM||Date Posted:||6/9/17|
|Will Train Applicant(s):||Posting Expires:||6/23/17|
Church of God in Christ, Inc. (COGIC) is a Christian organization in the Pentecostal-Holiness tradition. The membership is predominantly African-American with more than six million members. COGIC has congregations in 63 countries around the world.
This position ensures that texts due for publication are well written and grammatically correct. This position also is responsible for fact checking and correcting grammatical errors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to handle many issues, items and functions at once and deal rapidly with multiple items in prioritized sequence
- Must have knowledge and understanding of biblical text
- Must have general knowledge of the doctrine of the Church Of God In Christ
- Ability to be flexible to adjust to rapidly changing requirements an schedules
- Ability to identify and report problems in a timely manner
- Ability to read and interpret written information
- Ability to identify subject-verb agreement
- Ability to speak, read and write in the English language
- Must have excellent grammar and proofreading skills
- Must demonstrate attention to detail
- Must demonstrate a positive and productive attitude
- Must speak clearly, listens and gets clarification
- Must demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
This position will not be responsible for the performance management and hiring of employees within the department.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 5 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
Normal days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. This position may require additional hours and weekend work.
Travel is primarily local during the business day.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Some college coursework preferred
- Must maintain prompt and regular attendance
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Proficient computer skills
- Strong command of the English language
- Must be able to proof clients materials for errors
WORK VALUES – COGIC IMPACTS
Integrity – The quality of being honest and having strong moral uprightness.
Measurable Results – Establishing SMART goals to highlights success.
Passion – Self driven attitude about your work that leads to success.
Adaptability – Able to adjust to new conditions.
Collaborative – working together to create something or produce solutions.
Timely – Done or occurring at a favorable or useful time; expedient.
Service Oriented – Providing outstanding service and support to COGIC & external vendors/agencies.
COGIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job offers at COGIC are conditioned upon background checks.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
[Applications or Resumes] Accepted By:
Fax or E-mail:
901.947.9392 or [email protected]
Attention: HR Department/ Proofreader Posting
Paula C. Hearn
Human Resources Department
Church Of God In Christ, Inc.
938 Mason Street
Memphis, TN 38126